Advancing Women’s Leadership in Sustainable Agriculture and Food Systems Development
WFAN is the home for Plate to Politics(SM) — a nationwide effort to support and strengthen the national leadership role of women transforming our nation’s food system, from the federal agriculture policy agenda to what’s on our family’s dinner plate. The program focuses on providing leadership training to women engaged in healthy food and farming.
Key priorities for Plate to Politics include:
- Provide in-person trainings for women passionate about healthy food and farming to ramp up their leadership in their communities and give them tools to run for public office.
- Develop a national database collecting and championing the inspiring stories of women farmers and food activists across the country and connect these women with leadership opportunities.
- Educate Congressional leaders on policy issues of importance to women in sustainable agriculture.
- Create an informational toolkit and resources to educate and inspire voters on food issues.
- Support and further develop the authentic, positive message of this movement prioritizing health, economy and food in the media.
Plate to Politics(SM) was created in 2011 as a collaborative project of Women, Food and Agriculture Network, the Midwest Organic and Sustainable Education Service (MOSES) Rural Women’s Project, and the White House Project (now inactive). Read about the Cultivate 2012 Summit that generated the Plate to Politics program here. We work closely with our friends at Vote Run Lead to provide training on topics from writing letters to the editor to funding a campaign for office.
Host a workshop in your community.